Monday, March 2, 2015

Let's play: Heroes of Might and Magic II

Do you sometimes think of your early years and stuff that you did? Like having fun with your friends, playing outside, etc. Then, when you were older, getting drunk for the first time or trying cigarettes maybe? No? Me neither! Because I was sitting home with my computer! 


Those days bring a lot of nostalgia and so I today I want to talk about my favorite childhood game. So let's get ready to hear about Heroes of Might and Magic II. Yes! It was the second part of the series that made a huge impact on my soul. It was introduced to me by my older brother (as almost every game). And I fell in love right away.

It is a strategy game, but I also heard term turn-based strategy. If you don't know the game (I doubt that), it is a little bit similar to Warcraft or Age of Empires. You simply choose your hero (race) and you try to gather resources and build up your town, fight enemies and win of course.

What made this game very special to me, is the fact that it was my one way ticket to fantasy. I loved (still do) that fairy tale look of the game! I was four years old when game came out, so for a child it was nice to see something that colorful. But till this day I acknowledge the looks of heroes, cities and most of all looks of creatures. I loved warlocks! Obviously because of dragons! And I thought for myself that one day I will build a dragon tower in my own house to have dragons. 

Then the gameplay! Those swear moments! Just because you were too far from your empty castle that was under siege. And NPCs were really tough (please consider that I was a child). Because I didn't understand that much English and was not that good player. I never got through all the missions and scenarios. But I still have the game and hopefully I will find a time to replay it. 

I remember, a few years later, when I've read the Lord of the Rings. I immediately ran to turn on the game, just to check the halflings (to see if they were similar to those in the movie)! I was using this game as a source material! It was just that important to me. I even have the soundtrack!

Even though many believe that the third installment was better, it never really made it to my top ten games. This one did. So what was your first "deep impact"game? Which childhood game makes you smile even today? And what is the best thing that you remember about it? Please write down in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment