Sunday, February 22, 2015

Movie Night: Like Father, Like Son

Again with a Japanese movie! Yes, last few months I am simply obsessed with them. Till now I have only seen anime and very little from Japanese cinematography. But I am going through a little something in my life (life itself) and I can appreciate 'slice of life' kind of movie. 

And again it is drama, that will probably make you shed a tear. When I first saw the trailer, I was astonished. But I was pushing this movie away from me for a longer time. It was because this story seemed too real for me. Well thankfully one of my random mood swings came and I watched the movie. So let us dig in!

Characters.
I would divide characters to two groups. Nonomiya family and Saiki family. 

First Saiki. Very lively and very happy. Father of the family, Yudai Saiki, is elderly man in his forties, I guess (it is not really stated). He is enthusiastic, jolly and enjoyable character, that loves his family and cherishes every moment in life. He may seem a little distracted. In one word, he is father, not just to his children. And allover he is a poor loser with no money. His son, Ryousuke, is lively boy, just like father, with lots of bad habits (not that bad).

And Nonomiya. Father of the family Ryota Nonomiya. Successful businessman. Always covered with work (quite stereotypical Japanese man). He is really authoritative, but not necessarily hard on his family. He only believes, that this is best. Yet he is very kind and emotional man (totally hiding it). His son, Keita, is perfect example of loyal child. He always do as is told, even plays piano, though he don't like it.

Story.
Plot is about two separate families, that have had their children swapped in the hospital. Six years later they find out. And here starts the psychological drama. Families agree to meet continuously, but to keep children as they are. But plot really, really thickens, as Ryota is not able to accept this mistake (how to call it?). And as it is, they switch children eventually. To not spoil it that much, I will stop here.

Overall thoughts.
I loved it! This movie depicts characters as real people. I don't want to say, that this is Japanese mentality! But for a foreigner, as me, it shows a lot from life of Japanese family. Still I imagine, that same thoughts would go through mind of everyone. 

I loved how we were able to see doubts and self-accusation on the side of both mothers. Even different views from grandparents. But fathers - Ryota and Yudai. That was a mind-blowing masterpiece! Love, that can father hold for his children is an incredible thing and not often shown. It was not made with military salute or any random thing. It was shown as it would happen to anyone.

That would be it. This movie was really touching. It made me relate to parents, which I could never do with the movies I've seen so far. Movie for a teary eyes and for everyone, that likes 'slice of life' genre. 

2 comments:

  1. znie to dosť drsne. dakedy kuknem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do toho! som rada, že ťa môj článok povzbudil k tomuto počinu :)

      Delete