Monday, March 9, 2015

Japanology 101: Hanami

Have you ever heard of Hanami? Obviously it has something to do with Japan. It is a very specific tradition. And I think, that it might be the most beautiful tradition I've ever heard of.

Hanami is traditional custom of enjoying the transient beauty of flowers, mostly cherry blossoms  (sakura) or (less often) plum blossoms (ume), from March to May. This definition is from wikipedia, but it sounds so lovely, that I had to put it in here. So, yes! You simply enjoy yourself in the park with sakura tree.

Now to the part, where I, as a blogger, enter with something called my opinion. I love it! This thing is amazing! When I found out about it, I was speechless. I watched tons of videos about Hanami. People go to parks with friends or family (or both) and have picnics, listen to music, dance etc. During this season (if I can call it like this) you can get everything with sakura flavor, or sakura color, or just sakura themed ( oh yes those expensive strabucks sakura mugs). 

Have I ever participated in such thing? No. Sadly, I live on the other side of the world. So I never got to see Hanami (not yet). Plus, I don't have many friends (none, maybe one or two) interested in going to Japan. Of course, I can go alone, but Hanami is kind of a social event. This is also a way to call out for new Japanese friends or any other new friends out there to get in touch with me! We can go together!

I'd love to see such happening in my country. In Japan they even have special weather forecast for this occasion, because it lasts only for a week. It is really nice to get people out and have a lovely time. Just watching those pink petals fall. For me it somehow resemble the pure essence of life (enough philosophy!). But I don't think it would be possible in my country. First of all, we don't have that much cherry trees in parks. We don't have that much parks (#justeasternEuropethings)... And more importantly, people are not as polite as Japanese are (sorry, nothing personal). There are just some individuals that could ruin it completely. I can see it happening though. But not in those numbers I guess. But one can dream!

What about you? Would you like to experience true Hanami in Japan? Would you like to organize something similar (it is not organized in Japan though, it's just a tradition)? How would it look in your country? Would people attend such an event? What do you think? Tell me in the comments, I am really looking forward to read them.

2 comments:

  1. I know, it won't be the same. But we should go for a picnic to some nice place close by. Very soon, as spring is coming. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should :) Maybe I will try to prepare Japanese dango :D

      Delete