Monday, March 16, 2015

Botany feels

I wasn't really sure what to write about today... Didn't feel like putting together animanga or gaming article. But google take care of it for me. So please, until I come up with something better, stick with this (please, please). Maybe some of you noticed google doodle today. Those 'blueprints' of leaves. So yes, let us talk about that.

Those 'blueprints' are photographs made by Anna Atkins. This magnificent lady was born in times, when females had to make embroideries after lunch and read books with the female part of the household. Yes, regency and Victorian era. As I found out (obviously) she received unusually good scientific education for her time. But, it is not really important.... 

What I want to point out, are her photographs of flowers. Or her botany books. They are beautiful! I really see them as 'blueprints'of flowers. Since, by training, I am landscape engineer (or garden designer, call it whatever you will) I love these. I always adored old botany books! I often lurked throughout IKEA, because in their studious they've had these books, unfortunately they were not for sale. Poor me.
But I really can't get enough of these! I love botany art. Even though this book is scientific, it is very inspirational thing for me. I see it as a source for my graphic design. And I myself would love to make botany inspired collection of prints. When I do, I'll make sure to post them here. But for now, please, share this nerdy mood of mine with me (is this correct way to say it?). And enjoy photographs from Anna Atkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment