Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Movie Night: Petal Dance

Just for starters, I am not that kind of person who enjoys those highly artistic movies. Movies from Lars von Trier seem boring to me. Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene was some weird shit about weird community and girl that watched her sister have sex.

So why did I willingly and with tear in my left eye watched Petal Dance? First of all, it is Japanese movie. And I am abnormally attached to Japan. Second, it was different. I believe that script wasn't longer than few pages and movie didn't last more than ninety minutes.

Characters.
Mokoto, Jinko and Miki are former classmates from college. It is quite hard to get their characters just right. I believe that it is because Japanese are not that easy to read. But from my point of view Jinko was the only, hundred percent, positive character.
Another character was Hiraki. Girl obsessed with doubts and self blame.

Story.
Even though, it was movie without many words, story is quite complicated. So I will make it short. Miki tries to commit a suicide. Jinko and Mokoto decide to check on her. Hiraki somehow managed to stumble upon Jinko and she joins the group.

Overall thoughts.
Movie casually and very beautifully describes story of every character. About how the life can turn after college. Blunt conversations and those silly, polite smiles point out, that even the best relationships can fade with time. With strong presence of melancholy movie is also capable of showing positive moments of life. Those really small miracles that we often miss.

Even though I would not recommend this movie to everyone. Not everyone likes this kind of movie, silent and meaningful. I think it is good for people, who can relate to these characters. To the everyday problems.

It is just slice of life themed movie. It is nor sad, nor happy. It will make you question words you said to someone, past relationships, memories of people, that is no longer part of your life. You will get real people, beautiful Japanese countryside and that bittersweet feeling. Take or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment