Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Animanga 101: Shoujo

For starters lets just say that I don't didn't read shoujo (girl) manga that much. But for the sake of this post I've started. And I liked it! 

Shady dorm room, almost 11 p.m. I was in my pajamas, just made myself black tea with milk. I thought to myself, that maybe I should experience something new. I open my favorite web reader in haste. I wrote down few keywords. First results. Looking only for lovely covers. I open it fast. Here comes the new world of manga. Manga created for my gender. 

Well. I was looking for shoujo manga. But I stumbled upon shoujo ai, smut, harem, etc. But I am not afraid of challenge! I finish what I start! So I finished every manga that I started. And how to describe my experience? Lets talk about three main components in the shoujo manga. 

Women.
Or girls. They are described as stubborn, intelligent and independent individuals (only first page). They often follow some big dream and simultaneously take care of their family. These strong individuals are turned into little scared lambs the moment man arrives. Role of man is depicted as manipulative, rude, yet strong and handsome. Female character often feels hateful towards male character, but with time (after another page) this hate will bloom into love. 

When it comes to intimacy, these are just best. Younger heroines are hopeless virgins, that will loose their panties after first kiss. And every woman (often taken for hopeless virgins too) is horny slut and wants nothing more then senpai to notice. 

Men.
Or boys. They are often drawn in ways where their hands are bigger than female torso... But they are pretty handsome and dreamy. And rich! Also perverted, arrogant, egoistic. But it is only because they are pretty hurt deep inside. They only need to be loved! Anyway the approach they choose is quite interesting. 

In every shoujo manga that I've read men manage to have hundred percent control over their own bodies and needs. Yes, I'm talking about sex. They manage to grab girls here and there and then (in triumphal tone) they say, that she does not deserve to get more!

Story.
Maybe a little violent. Boy is rude, she is hurt. Fighting! We will get some talks, understandings and build ups for romance. And bang! First troubles. This part is extremely unpredictable. It is always something new. Disapproval of family, secret admirer, butlers boycott, incest brother boycott, ancient magical  aphrodisiacs, false pregnancy, money! But don't worry. They will get over it.

Overall thoughts.
This is something for girls (maybe even boys like it, I don't know). In one word - hilarious! It's funny, very energetic, sometimes sad (not that sad) but it perfectly describes turmoils of a young girl heart. Sometimes it is just too much, I know. I am not saying that situations in these are necessary real. Mostly they are not. But this is what many young girls think  it might be and for those older it is really funny. You will also manage to find good and real stories suitable for mature audience. And I really appreciate the way these are written. It is very gentle, yet not sluggish. 

These are good for tense times in your life. Or just for Sunday afternoon. If you pick something too absurd don't be disappointed, there are tons of good women novels and tons of bad. And this rule apply to manga too. Just a little tip - choose less flashy covers if you want more mature manga.

No comments:

Post a Comment